Monday, January 13, 2014
Curiouser and curiouser
We went registering this weekend. Whew! It was super overwhelming, let me tell you. Thank God we had friends of ours, the Conner-Rinehart clan (thanks again Kevin and Tim for offering your expertise, and Catherine and Christian for being great sports as the boring old people debated the merits of car seat bases!) to patiently walk around with us and be our sounding board.
I really liked registering for the wedding, so I kind of thought this would be similar, but it was a whole different beast. Fourteen different high chairs, eight of them essentially identical, three from the same brand (I'm exaggerating...slightly). Burp cloths and bibs and pacifiers, oh my, all with the same predicament, except multiply it by five. My issue was the fact that a burp cloth is a burp cloth is a burp cloth. Who cares if it has images of fire trucks or butterflies or cans of sardines on it?? It's going to be spit on. That's it's function. When we were registering for the wedding, we could look at the fourteen different types of towels and pick one because we liked it and that was that. Why do I need to like a burp cloth? You see my predicament. Now, I'm reducing this incredibly, but really there was some degree of that with everything. The high chairs I knew we needed certain things like removable tray and a seat strap and a barrier to keep the baby from sliding out the bottom, but it seemed like they ALL had those certain things!
I was Alice and Babies R Us was Wonderland. Little did I know that the seemingly innocuous act of walking through the automatic doors would be my rabbit hole. The lady at the registry desk offered me a bottle of water; "drink me." Christian, the orange-hatted two year old, spent a decent amount of time rearranging cups to his liking and pushing a popper vacuum; mad hatter indeed. Catherine, the scene-stealing second grader, all but demanded that they purchase a purple stroller for her to ride around in--her chariot; a queen of hearts without the sadism. The only thing we were missing was a cat whose smile lingered and haunted.
Anyway, it's done, or so I think. I've already added some clothes to the registry via their website. Though, I was really unimpressed with how it's handled on the website. Nearly everything was out of stock and quite a few things were online only. Also, God forbid I want something that isn't sports-themed, camo, cowboys or dinosaurs. I mean, I don't have anything against those specifically...but why can't I just have plain old plaid or polka dot or striped or even *gasp* solid colored?! Something non-gimmicky. :/ There were 125+ options shown for newborn baby boy onesies on the website and I could probably count on two hands how many didn't make me curl my lip or sigh. Heaven help us.
P.S. http://www.toysrus.com/registry/index.jsp?ab=BRU_Header:Utility2:Baby-Registry:Home-Page
Registry number 52179672
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Take a deeeeep breath, sweetheart.
ReplyDeleteYou will blow through the onesies in a few months and the kid won't have any idea what all those male-/female- oriented pictures mean. No impact, no sweat.
As for the furniture, if all offer the safety features you want go for durable. You will use the high-chair, playpen, crib, etc over and over -- well not too many times, I hope, the planet is crowded enough; go for quality, not quantity. Mom and I hit the jackpot.
You probably want to include Chrissy when picking clothes because when Jonas has outgrown them whozitz will be ready to fill them and for the first 4-5 years kids don't know shit from shinola about hand-me-downs. When they become aware get them some stuff they can call their own and reduce the HMDs.
Welcome to the adventure of parenthood, it will last for the rest of your life.
Love, dad
I know it won't mean anything to the kid, but it means something to ME. It annoys me that society/consumerism is so narrow-minded and I'm subjected to it. You're having a boy and these are boy things and why the hell would you want anything else because we're TELLING you this is what you want. I'm probably just making it a bigger deal than it needs to be because I've been getting annoyed easier and more intensely since I've been pregnant. Dumb testosterone.
ReplyDeleteMy iPad is dumb and always messes up on comments. Anyway, I was going to add that it's a good idea about passing the clothes on to little Chruke. ;) Luckily most is pretty generic and will be fine even if Chruke ends up being more Chr and less uke
ReplyDelete