Monday, February 10, 2014
Top Five of the Second Trimester
I started this several days ago and then, well, we had some plumbing issues that needed to be addressed RIGHTTHISSECOND, so it got put on hold. But, my second trimester is officially over! It seems like it was just yesterday that the first trimester was ending. Whew! Here's my top five adjectives for the second trimester, like I did with the first (in no particular order).
1. Exciting
The second trimester brought a lot more excitement! We got to hear the baby's heartbeat much stronger, and it was the same day that Ben found out that he passed the Bar, so it was a very good day. We also had two different ultrasounds done and got some awesome pictures to show off. My favorites are a picture of his foot and one of his nose and lips. They're just a glimpse of what he will look like in person, but I'm already biased.
2. Urgent
We definitely got a sense of urgency in the second trimester. We found ourselves at a point that it was crucial to start thinking ahead and be prepared (there's that Boy Scout Motto!) for when he arrives. We took some time and cleaned out Ben's office in stages, then switched his desk and computer to the guest room. It was important to make headway with it so that we could get the nursery ready. The guest room is now a mess, because even with cleaning out the office, there was still a lot of stuff that just got moved over en masse. Beyond that, I started thinking about childbirth classes and hospital prep bags and birth plans. It hit me one day that I had not given ANY of those the attention they needed!
3. Quick
Like I said earlier, it went by so fast! You'd think that the first trimester would have seemed faster because I spent 4 weeks pregnant without even knowing. But, I think keeping it a secret and the fatigue made it drag on. I fully expect the third trimester to zip by as well.
4. Eventful
Lots of stuff happened in the second trimester. We found out that we are having a boy, I took my glucose test (gah, that thing was horrible!), got stuff put on the registry and were told that my brother and his wife are having a baby, too! We also felt the baby kicking, and then stronger and stronger. So many things happened this trimester, it's hard to remember them all!
5. Definitive
For the first trimester, it was surreal. Often I couldn't believe I was pregnant and it didn't seem like it was actually happening. The second trimester put all of that to rest. The ultrasounds and heartbeats and kicking and growing belly all helped solidify it for me. There really is a tiny person in there!
I am fortunate to be able to say that this pregnancy has been relatively easy. There have been some issues--from almost constant nausea at first, to the second ultrasound when he measured large, to my periodic back pain. But, in the grand scheme of things, I know it could have been much, much worse. There have been no complications, my weight has been manageable, he is an active little guy (which is sometimes a blessing and a curse) and there is no reason to believe he won't be a healthy baby when he decides to make his arrival. I just hope that he doesn't make life too hectic once he's here. We'll do the best we can with whatever situation we are given. It will be such an adventure and I can't wait for us to start it together!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
you go, girl! you've encapsulated the trimester beautifully - real, upbeat, aware. on course to being Awesome Mom
ReplyDelete