Friday, January 18, 2013
Pink or blue?
I feel very strongly about some common pregnancy concepts. It doesn't mean you have to agree, in fact you very well may not and that's ok.
I don't want to know what the gender of my unborn baby is. My husband does, and he is terrible at keeping secrets, so I guess that means I'll have to know when the time comes. I just want to be surprised. I want the excitement of hearing the doctor announce the gender as my newborn child writhes and cries, announcing his or her own presence all by him-/herself.
I also don't want to be drowning in stereotypical boy or girl "stuff"--clothes, toys, decorations, blankets, etc, etc. I'm afraid that if word gets around about whether I'm having a boy or a girl, that I WILL end up drowning. Not intentionally by any one person (although my sister has all but guaranteed they'll be spoiled by their Aunt Sara), but by many well-intentioned people.
My daughter will not have a room full of princess garb. My son will not have a toy box full of sports-themed trinkets. I feel it would pigeon-hole them into a stereotype I don't necessarily want to continue. Nothing against those who revel in those things. It's just not for me. That's not to say that I will never buy a frilly dress or a onesie that says "daddy's little slugger", but it will be the exception rather than the rule.
But, watch: I'LL be the one begging the doctor to show us the gender on the ultrasound. Or I'll bring home bags bursting full of blue or pink. Because even as stubborn as I am, everything can change once I'm experiencing it in living color rather than just thinking about it. I am stubborn, though, so who knows...
Labels:
gender,
stereotypes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment