Thursday, April 18, 2013

New doctor

Don't worry; I'm still with my same OBGYN, because he is awesome. The female OB there is awesome as well. There's a third doctor in their practice, but I don't like him so I pretend it's just the other two. Two out of three isn't bad. :)

No, I finally got around to getting a new GP. I had an issue that needed addressing in a timely fashion (trying hard not to give TMI. According to one of my strengthsfinder talents, Woo, I am as comfortable sharing with strangers as I am with best friends. So, while it doesn't bother me to talk about my health stuff, it may bother others). I started with a doctor that had been recommended to me. She was not accepting new patients. I was on my way out to the car headed to a visit for work, so I quickly jotted down a few numbers of nearby doctors to find one who could take me on. After three or four, I found one, and he was able to see me that same day.

Obviously, I had no prior knowledge of him or what kind of doctor he is. Boy, did I luck out. He was friendly, made social conversation about how long we had both been married, asked thoughtful questions and listened to my answers about not only what I had gone in for, but also my frustration with trying to conceive. We had a good discussion about how hard it is to go through this process, how deeply personal it is for me and Ben and what our options are in terms of solutions moving forward (if it's determined that solutions are needed). It was not a patient mill like I've experienced in the past, and the fact that he didn't interrupt me was a big plus--Lord knows that's one of my pet peeves anyway, much less when I'm trying to answer questions a doctor just asked.

Having a doctor listen and sympathize with my issues was heartening. He was also very candid and said that if there are concerns with myself or with Ben that many of them are easily dealt with. That was reassuring as well. Even more, he asked if Ben was eager for a baby as well. Seriously, so impressed.

So, three more months and if there's still no baby, I'll be open to the options available to us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment