Thursday, December 12, 2013

Lots of new stuff!

There has been so much I've experienced in the last several weeks. First, I started feeling the baby moving about six weeks ago. At first it was hard to tell, and I wasn't 100% sure it was even the baby, but it was different enough from anything else I'd experienced. In the last 3 weeks or so it has gotten much more prominent. We felt him from the outside at 20 weeks and now at 23 weeks, he has started moving things propped on my belly (book, iPad, etc) as he kicks. It is really neat! Though, it seems every time I try to have Ben feel his stronger movement, little Jonas takes a break. :( I'm hoping once the kicks become more visible, that will happen less.

Second, we are starting to get wonderful hand me downs from friends who no longer need their baby stuff. It is so much fun going through the toys and clothes and bibs and tiny socks! I'm sure it won't be fun for long, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Thank you to everyone who has given us the beginnings of what we'll need for baby Jonas!

Third, we had the ultrasound (obviously, since we already revealed the gender) and it was really cool. I saw his little feet--my favorite image we left with, his brain, his arms and legs waving around like a turtle on his back, and of course his penis. Yes, I said it. That's what it is; I don't want my son to think it is something to be ashamed of. We found out he was 14oz at the time (which puts him somewhere around a pound and a half now, if not more) and in the 77th percentile for size.

Fourth, my tummy has finally started to look like a pregnant tummy and not just a pudge. It's about time! Though, I have had people tell me I'm all tummy and don't look like I've gained extra weight on other parts of my body, which mostly makes me feel good. On the one hand, I don't want to go all Violet Beauregard, but on the other hand, I also don't want to not have enough nutrients for the baby. I think I'm doing ok in both respects, though.

Lastly, I am all about the creature comforts for this pregnancy. I bought a pregnancy pillow (thanks again, Scott!) to help me sleep and my resulting back pain; I have it on good authority that I'm getting a pregnancy belt for Christmas; I plan to ask about prenatal massage at my next doctor appointment, and I have been drinking grapefruit juice like it's going out of style. And I've been fairly fortunate with finding good maternity clothes. I have a couple pairs of pants and a shirt or two that aren't entirely comfortable, but for the most part they are cute and flattering!

Only a little over four weeks until the third trimester! Time flies when you're having a baby! :)

2 comments:

  1. I forgot when I was there last weekend . . .
    Jonas was the name of Dad's eldest brother, so there is a Robinson connection.

    Grampa [Grumpa?]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I remember you and Ben having a conversation about it and how he was not well favored in the family. :/ We had already picked the name, and we'll just leave the not-so-happy part out when we tell him about it. :)

      Delete